Can an online CV get you you hired?
With growing numbers of savvy recruiters and hiring managers recognising the benefits of searching for candidates online, it makes sense to get creative and optimise your visibility with an online CV.
Building your online CV provides a perfect opportunity to demonstrate your modern day communication skills and are comfortable in the social space.
Business and social networking sites such as LinkedIn, Google+, Twitter, Facebook offer fantastic ways to build an online profile and get to the heart of the online career network of recruitment agencies and head hunters.
Setting up a personal website can be quick and easy. Webeden offer a free software that enables job seekers with no experience to build their own personal website in seven minutes - even with little knowledge of web hosting, ecommerce, or programming! Webeden's website builder includes a free domain name, free email, free hosting and a free Google AdWords voucher.
Here are a few tips to help you to join the increasing number of people with successful online CVs ..
1. Keywords - if you weave into the language the keywords,
short phrases and terms that match your job target then you are far
more likely to appear in recruiter search results and reach your
2. Format - the golden rule is to keep it streamlined and uncluttered; write brief, informative sentences, short paragraphs - with plenty of white space to ensure visual appeal
3. Content - be selective, focus on the current, relevant and positive. Include what differentiates you, key points illustrating achievements - the situation, what you did, the bottom line results
4. Links - embed links to PowerPoint presentations, web cams, graphs, professional social media, case studies, bios, or links to a portfolio of your work
5. Length - keep it brief, write succinctly - give just sufficient information to entice the reader to want to learn more
6. Privacy - don't include your home address - contact email and phone numbers should suffice
7. Browser compatibility - make sure that your CV is accessible on a range of popular software - Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome
The bottom line is, in today's digital era, can you afford to ignore online CVs and can you risk not ensuring that your CV is top notch - perfectly presented with compelling content.
About the Author:
Helga Ann Edge MBA is a sought-after CV and Resume writer, and in LinkedIn's "Top 1% Most Viewed LinkedIn Profiles for 2012."" Since 1990, she has helped many thousands of clients find not just a job but a rewarding career through her websites: www.aperfectcareer.co.uk and www.aperfectcv.co.uk. Helga can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Helga on Twitter .. https://twitter.com/APerfectCV
Select Your Career & Price
CEO, Director, Consultant
We focus on Results ..See more
Junior, Mid- Senior Managers
We spotlight your expertise, leadership, results ..See more
More than two careers
We place the spotlight on your skills, experience, drive & personality ..See more
Students | Graduates
We highlight how your skills, projects, teamwork, and placements match your job target. Prices ..See more